PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tutorial status  (Read 2445 times)

Larry Burford

• FireFly3 Registered User
  • Little Newbie FireFly
tutorial status
« on: June 14, 2010, 09:56:39 AM »

Any idea when this will be available?

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Master Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
Re: tutorial status
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 10:48:13 AM »

As you can tell, I haven't worked on the tutorial in several months. I need to get back at this.... I am looking forward to seeing how the tutorial program turns out! ;)
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
FireFly Visual Designer, WinFBE Editor

Larry Burford

• Little Newbie FireFly
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:56 AM »

One of these days I will be in your shoes, if my plans pan out, so I hesitate to to be too critical. Besides, you have a pretty good product. Anyway ...

I'm trying to add a richedit to a splitter. My expectation is that if I drop the edit control onto the right side of a two pane splitter the edit's identifier will automatically be added to the childForm2 property. Failing that, my expectation is that the edit's id will appear in the drop down list and I must select it manually (even if it is the only control in the list).

Neither of these are happening. Is my expectation wrong, or is there a problem?

(I've also tried SendMessage [but why, at this point in a RAD tool?]. It compiles, but the edit control is nowhere to be seen. Of course, I might not be using this message in the right place. Still trying to figure out how the winAPI expects to be tweaked.)

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Master Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:56:31 PM »

Hi Larry,

You need to create a child form for each pane of your splitter. You add the controls to these child forms (ie. your edit control). You assign the child forms to the panes of the splitter via the Childform1, ChildForm2 and Childform3 properties. This is similar to the way that I implemented Tab Controls. Each tab of a tab control needs a child form.

The easiest way to create these child forms is to add a new form to your project and set its "TabControlChild" property to TRUE. Doing that sets the window styles correctly.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
FireFly Visual Designer, WinFBE Editor

Larry Burford

• Little Newbie FireFly
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »

A form? Hmmm, a FORM.

You know, I've been playing around with DDT style programming for a while now. And with SDK style programming. Not so much with FF style, until lately. And one thing I've noticed is that when I solve a problem in any one of them, it almost always sheds light on some questions I have about the other two.

I've had to roll my own tab controls in DDT and SDK because I could not get the Windows TAB control to work. I'll have to go back and re-read the help on it now, to see if I just didn't understand, or if it really doesn't say "put a new dialog on first". But for some reason it just seems non-sensical to me to have to put an empty window on top of a perfectly good empty window.

Oh well, we are talking about Bill Gates. No reason to expect reasonable solutions. I suppose it is possible that there is actually a good technical reason for this?

I just went back to your help file on the splitter control, and it says " ... each pane 'is composed of' a child form ... ". This makes sense. But it ought to say " ... each pane needs to be populated (by you) with a child form ..." . Or something like that.

Or (new feature request?) maybe you could make it behave just like the help says?

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll go play with it for a while, and see what else I've missed.

John Waalkes

• Little Newbie FireFly
  • FF3 User
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »

As you can tell, I haven't worked on the tutorial in several months. I need to get back at this.... I am looking forward to seeing how the tutorial program turns out! ;)

Oh Crap! Now I'll never know how the story ends!