• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

FireFly to PureBasic thoughts and discussion...

Started by Brice Manuel, February 05, 2014, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

Quote from: James OShea on February 05, 2014, 11:00:26 AM
Brice, you have made a very good case for transitioning to PureBASIC.  A Firefly for PureBASIC would seal the deal.
One thing for Paul to consider is besides supporting the existing PureBasic community, Paul would also be supporting his current users who may be making the switch to PureBasic and thus retaining his user base.  By being able to continue using the tool they are most familiar with, Paul would also be helping them with their transition.  A win for the PureBasic community, a win for Paul and a win for Paul's current user base.

Brice Manuel

Fred was made aware of Chris's products before Fred issues the license.  Whether Fred looked at the links or not, I don't know.  The logical choice would have been for Chris to use PureBasic and tweak his existing small VD that costs $25 or whatever to spit out PureBasic code and then come to the community and announce his new product for PureBasic.  The code generated since it would spit out PureBasic's GUI commands would have worked on all platforms.

Chris also didn't seem to think about retaining users, he only concentrated on getting new users.  His users are switching to PureBasic and some switched some time ago.  This is part of why I kept stressing to him that Windows-only will work. 

When you have a niche product, yes getting new users is important, but retaining your existing userbase is even more important, if for no other reason than "word of mouth" is the best advertisement for any product.  By retaining your userbase when they move into a new programming community, the word of mouth from these new folks in the programming community using your product will gain you the new users.  People in the community seeing what these new users are creating with your product will get you new users. 

Paul's product does not have runtime DLLs so there would not be the 64-bit issue that EZGUI would have had.

Please note, I am NOT trying to pressure Paul into any decision, but am just discussing the pros and cons and looking at this from a different perspective.

José Roca

Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta.

I will follow his journey to CLang. He has promised to share his experiences with that language and related tools.

James Fuller

Quote from: Jose Roca on February 05, 2014, 12:12:00 PM
I will follow his journey to CLang. He has promised to share his experiences with that language and related tools.

I may be wrong but I believe Clang on Windows is lacking. Rock solid on Linux and OSX.
My suggestion is to stick with  TDM-GCC that comes with Code::Blocks

James

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Jose Roca on February 05, 2014, 12:12:00 PM
Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta.

I am merely pointing out why it could succeed, as James is interested and Paul does have other customers moving to PureBasic.  Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight and it doesn't affect me in any way.

José Roca

I may be wrong, but if Paul is interested in CLang it would be as a general purpose language for all kind of applications, not necessarily to build yet another visual designer.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Jose Roca on February 05, 2014, 02:21:13 PM
I may be wrong, but if Paul is interested in CLang it would be as a general purpose language for all kind of applications, not necessarily to build yet another visual designer.
That would be my guess, too.

Paul Squires

That would be my guess as well  ;)   

I am using CLang as a front end to the GCC toolchain backend. It compiles code much faster than g++. Of course, as time goes by and I discover that CLang is lacking so mega cool advanced feature that I need then I will click one button and compile with g++ instead. I envision that day being a loooooooooooooong way off.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Paul Squires

Quote from: Brice Manuel on February 05, 2014, 11:27:16 AM
Quote from: James OShea on February 05, 2014, 11:00:26 AM
Brice, you have made a very good case for transitioning to PureBASIC.  A Firefly for PureBASIC would seal the deal.
One thing for Paul to consider is besides supporting the existing PureBasic community, Paul would also be supporting his current users who may be making the switch to PureBasic and thus retaining his user base.  By being able to continue using the tool they are most familiar with, Paul would also be helping them with their transition.  A win for the PureBasic community, a win for Paul and a win for Paul's current user base.

Using FireFly in other programming languages is not on my radar right now. It is obviously tempting but I need to break free from the programming tools market for a while.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

James OShea

Quote from: TechSupport on February 05, 2014, 02:40:08 PM
Using FireFly in other programming languages is not on my radar right now. It is obviously tempting but I need to break free from the programming tools market for a while.

Understandable. 

Never liked C much.  Had a couple of starts with it.  First in school (ANSI C), later an attempt to create the next great IOS App.  I didn't find it difficult just didn't like it.  The problem is I have never gotten over Visual Basic (pre- .net).

I have the feeling that VisualBASIC(.net) is in my future.  Another language I have started to pickup once or twice.  Still PureBASIC might be another good tool in the belt.   

Brice Manuel