PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Are you guys sticking with PowerBASIC?  (Read 14829 times)

Peter Heffernan

• FireFly3 Registered User
  • Little Newbie FireFly
  • FF3 User
Re: Are you guys sticking with PowerBASIC?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »

Paul,

I'm only a hobbyist when it comes to programming but have appreciated your efforts ever since getting FF & PB.

I fear you're correct re. the death knolls of PB but I've been there before, as I'm sure others on here have been, with VB.

Certainly I have had my worth out of your code and feel that it's entirely up to you how you fly with what you have.

From a $ POV maybe a FF to FB translator would compensate you somewhat, prior to opening up FF to PB as freeware? With something like that in-the works, you obtain the financial credit that you're due and the 'basic community gets to both use your excellent interface and get a 'paid for' option to head towards FB, where they'll probably eventually head towards anyway. If not then, as was mentioned earlier; a 'donate' button would be a must!

Thanks Paul, whatever way you go I'll be tagging along, I'm sure.

Nathan Durland

• Junior FireFly Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »

Paul -- I've bought several copies of several versions of FF.  FF has more than paid for itself; I have no problems with the idea of it going freeware or whatever works best for you).  I like coming here to this forum, because it is filled with people much smarter than me.  Losing the forum would be a blow. 

As for what we are doing now, we still use PowerBASIC almost daily.  We have a couple dozen program we have developed with FF/PB to supplement and complement our ERP system, which are actively maintained and enhanced.  New development of larger projects is with Visual Studio community edition, either VB or C#/  I have to confess that I don't know either of them very well, I leave the projects up to people who work for me.  Still, I occasionally still knock out some one-time use program with PB just because I can be so much faster because I'm so familiar with the tools. 

Eddy Van Esch

• Senior FireFly Member
  • FF3 User
    • DevOTechS
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »

I am still sticking with PowerBASIC, indeed.
I am not selling software anymore. The only programming I do is to create tools for myself.
PB still works for me. And frankly, I am currently not motivated to learn a new programming language. From what I hear, FB borrows  heavily from C(+), including some of the syntax. This does not appeal to me very much.
If I switch to another language, it will probably be PureBasic, unless I hate the VD so much that I see no other choice then to switch to FB so I can still use FF.

Whever I program, I always use FF/PB. I absolutely love FF. If I would decide to go with FB instead of PureBasic, FF would be the only reason.
Regarding making FF/PB freeware .. I don't know. As you said Paul, it will attract some FF newbees and they will come asking for support ...
Making it open source? Who will be brave enough (besides Paul) to start changing FF's source code ..?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:57:05 PM by Eddy Van Esch »
Eddy

Eros Olmi

• Little Newbie FireFly
    • www.thinbasic.com
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 03:07:05 PM »

Ciao Paul,

Like others, I nave no problem in whatever decision you will take for your future. FF gave me back much more of what I payed many years ago.

I'm still with PB in developing thinBASIC programming language and I think I will use it for many years to come. If you do not need any 64bit I think it will remain a great compiler for long time.

Please just consider me if you will decide to sell FF/PB sources. For the kind of programming I do, they would be of immense interest even if you think sources are too much "personal" written to be sold.

Ciao and thanks for all.
Eros
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:21:07 AM by Eros Olmi »

Josť Roca

• Master FireFly Member
    • Josť Roca Software
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 03:47:42 PM »

The only thing that I have done with PB since Bob Zale's death is to update my Windows API Headers (bug and typo fixes, no new stuff) and adapt my CSED editor to work with FreeBasic (still a work in progress).

No matter if it will be still usable for x years, it has no future. IMO, it its time to prepare the transition. If you wait until you're forced to use 64-bit, you will have to face the insurmountable task of having to rewrite a big amount of software in a short time.

Bu to each its own. Just don't ask if someone has written a converter.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:19:56 AM by Josť Roca »

Patrice Terrier

• Junior FireFly Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 04:47:55 AM »

I keep using PowerBASIC to maintain my existing DLL(s) for 32-bit applications.
And C++ for all my 64-bit needs (no more headache to figure how to use the latest Windows API).

PowerBASIC produces smaller standalone 32-bit applications than C++.
C++ 64-bit produces faster code, and is always capable of using the latest API additions.

My opinion about FreeBasic and PureBASIC, is that sooner or later they could suffer the same syndrome as PowerBASIC, especially when using DDT like encapsulation, or exotic syntax hard to translate to another language without a good understanding on what they are doing under the hood.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:50:46 AM by Patrice Terrier »

Josť Roca

• Master FireFly Member
    • Josť Roca Software
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »

Solved the question of overloaded operators.

Example:

Code: [Select]
' ========================================================================================
' Returns vbTrue (-1) if the two BSTRings are equal.
' ========================================================================================
OPERATOR = (BYREF pBStr1 AS AfxBstr, BYREF pBStr2 AS AfxBstr) AS INTEGER
   OPERATOR = StrCmpW(*pBStr1.Handle, *pBStr2.Handle) = 0
END OPERATOR

' Returns vbTrue (-1) if the two BSTRings are not equal.
OPERATOR <> (BYREF pBStr1 AS AfxBstr, BYREF pBStr2 AS AfxBstr) AS INTEGER
   OPERATOR = StrCmpW(*pBStr1.Handle, *pBStr2.Handle) <> 0
END OPERATOR

Now I can use:

DIM bs1 AS AfxBstr
DIM bs2 AS AfxBstr

bs1 = "Test string 1"
bs2 = "Test string 2"

IF bs1 <> bs2 THEN PRINT "Not equal"
IF bs1 = bs2 THEN PRINT "Equal"

Why the most useful stuff is never well explained in the manual?

Looks like I'm going to be able to write an easy to use BSTR class.

I'm beginning to like this language.

Josť Roca

• Master FireFly Member
    • Josť Roca Software
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 10:01:43 PM »

Another operator +=

' Appends a string to the BSTR. The string can be a literal or a FB STRING or WSTRING variable.
OPERATOR AfxBstr.+= (BYREF wszStr AS CONST WSTRING)
   this.Append(wszStr)
END OPERATOR

' Appends a BSTR to the BSTR.
OPERATOR AfxBstr.+= (BYREF pBStr AS AfxBstr)
   this.Append(*pBStr.Handle)
END OPERATOR

Usage:

DIM bs1 AS AfxBstr = "Test string"
DIM s AS STRING = " + appended string"
bs1 += s
DIM bs2 AS AfxBstr = " + another BSTR"
bs1 += bs2
print *bs1.Handle

Josť Roca

• Master FireFly Member
    • Josť Roca Software
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »

Another two operators, "<" and ">":

' Returns vbTrue (-1) if the the first BSTR is greater than the 2nd BSTR; FALSE, otherwise.
OPERATOR > (BYREF pBStr1 AS AfxBstr, BYREF pBStr2 AS AfxBstr) AS INTEGER
   OPERATOR = StrCmpW(*pBStr1.Handle, *pBStr2.Handle) > 0
END OPERATOR

' Returns vbTrue (-1) if the the first BSTR is less than the 2nd BSTR; FALSE, otherwise.
OPERATOR < (BYREF pBStr1 AS AfxBstr, BYREF pBStr2 AS AfxBstr) AS INTEGER
   OPERATOR = StrCmpW(*pBStr1.Handle, *pBStr2.Handle) < 0
END OPERATOR

Usage:

DIM bs1 AS AfxBstr = "Test string 1"
DIM bs2 AS AfxBstr = "Test string 2"
IF bs1 < bs2 THEN print "less"
IF bs2 > bs2 THEN print "greater"

Josť Roca

• Master FireFly Member
    • Josť Roca Software
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 10:22:46 PM »

Adding more overloads:

' Returns vbTrue (-1) if the two BSTRings are equal; FALSE, otherwise.
OPERATOR = (BYREF pBStr1 AS AfxBstr, BYREF pBStr2 AS AfxBstr) AS INTEGER
   OPERATOR = StrCmpW(*pBStr1.Handle, *pBStr2.Handle) = 0
END OPERATOR
OPERATOR = (BYREF pBStr AS AfxBstr, BYREF wszStr AS CONST WSTRING) AS INTEGER
   OPERATOR = StrCmpW(*pBStr.Handle, wszStr) = 0
END OPERATOR
OPERATOR = (BYREF wszStr AS CONST WSTRING, BYREF pBStr AS AfxBstr) AS INTEGER
   OPERATOR = StrCmpW(wszStr, *pBStr.Handle) = 0
END OPERATOR

Now the comparison can be made with two BSTR, a BSTR and a STRING or WSTRING, or a STRING or WSTRING and a BSTR.

Operators and overloading are marvelous.

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Master FireFly Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 10:58:20 PM »

:)  It makes me happy hearing you talk like this. FreeBASIC has ignited my programming passion again.

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
FireFly Visual Designer, WinFBE Editor

Josť Roca

• Master FireFly Member
    • Josť Roca Software
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 11:06:49 PM »

More operators:

' Returns vbTrue (-1) if the the first BSTR is greater or equal than the 2nd BSTR; FALSE, otherwise.
OPERATOR >= (BYREF pBStr1 AS CBStr, BYREF pBStr2 AS CBStr) AS INTEGER
   DIM nResult AS LONG
   nResult = StrCmpW(*pBStr1.Handle, *pBStr2.Handle)
   IF nResult > 0 OR nResult = 0 THEN OPERATOR = -1 ELSE OPERATOR = 0
END OPERATOR
OPERATOR >= (BYREF pBStr AS CBStr, BYREF wszStr AS CONST WSTRING) AS INTEGER
   DIM nResult AS LONG
   nResult = StrCmpW(*pBStr.Handle, wszStr)
END OPERATOR
OPERATOR >= (BYREF wszStr AS CONST WSTRING, BYREF pBStr AS CBStr) AS INTEGER
   DIM nResult AS LONG
   nResult = StrCmpW(wszStr, *pBStr.Handle)
END OPERATOR

' Returns vbTrue (-1) if the the first BSTR is less or equal than the 2nd BSTR; FALSE, otherwise.
OPERATOR <= (BYREF pBStr1 AS CBStr, BYREF pBStr2 AS CBStr) AS INTEGER
   DIM nResult AS LONG
   nResult = StrCmpW(*pBStr1.Handle, *pBStr2.Handle)
   IF nResult < 0 OR nResult = 0 THEN OPERATOR = -1 ELSE OPERATOR = 0
END OPERATOR
OPERATOR <= (BYREF pBStr AS CBStr, BYREF wszStr AS CONST WSTRING) AS INTEGER
   DIM nResult AS LONG
   nResult = StrCmpW(*pBStr.Handle, wszStr)
END OPERATOR
OPERATOR <= (BYREF wszStr AS CONST WSTRING, BYREF pBStr AS CBStr) AS INTEGER
   DIM nResult AS LONG
   nResult = StrCmpW(wszStr, *pBStr.Handle)
END OPERATOR

Josť Roca

• Master FireFly Member
    • Josť Roca Software
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 11:10:18 PM »

What I can't still to figure is an easier way to PRINT the contents of the BSTR than *pBstr.Handle. I can't use @, * or &, and I don't find a suitable operator.

Josť Roca

• Master FireFly Member
    • Josť Roca Software
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »

:)  It makes me happy hearing you talk like this. FreeBASIC has ignited my programming passion again.

When I will finish the classes for BSTRings and VARIANTs, COM programming will be less difficult.

I never have been much interested in ActiveX controls (most of them are outdated) except the WebBrowser control, and to host it, the ATL.DLL that comes pre-installed with Windows is enough.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:19:08 PM by Josť Roca »

David Warner

• Junior FireFly Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 05:07:37 AM »

Two of the most positive posts I have read for a while. I'm very glad to hear you both talking like this. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6