• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

What do you think of this idea?

Started by Paul Squires, May 28, 2018, 07:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Squires

It has been mentioned a few times over on the FB forums that beginners (and even some longer time users) find it difficult to jump in and get started using FreeBasic right away.

What if I create a download that combines WinFBE, FBC compiler (latest development version), Jose's includes/WinFBX, WinFormsX etc...  And have it all pre-configured and ready to compile/run code as soon as it's unzipped?

Sounds like a good idea to me and I could easily keep it updated and current.

Do any of you guys see any downsides to this?

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Andrew Lindsay

a sort of 'Live CD' version would be perfect I think.  The one thing that is a little bit scary at first with FB, as with many of the CLI compilers, is the multitude of command line switches and options that are necessary to compile and link the source through to forming a running executable.

So a simple, one stop shop would be perfect I think.

Klaas Holland

That's a very good idea, because we always will have the right editions of the various programs.

Eddy Van Esch

Such an initiative is always a splendid idea!  8)
Eddy

Joerg B.

I've had the same thought. And I really appreciate your thinking about it.  ;D

Anyone with experience will not necessarily need a pre-configured system.

But for anyone who wants to start or upgrade with WinFBE, Jose's libraries and FreeBasic, it is an enormous simplification.

No more different component downloads.

No more thinking about how and where something needs to be installed and integrated.

No more frustration because everything is downloaded, installed, incorrectly configured and then only error messages are displayed.  ;)
Greeting from Germany

Joerg

SeaVipe

That's a great idea! What a time saver...
Clive Richey

Robert Eaton

David Kenny

The first time I read your idea I thought it was a good one.  But I think you will need to check on some things first (maybe you already have). You will have to make sure what you are planning is ok with the various third parties.  In this case, probably just José and whomever owns FB.  Hopefully they will be on board with it.