• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

question about compiling errors?

Started by veltesian, February 19, 2024, 03:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veltesian

sorry about if this is in a wrong section of the forum but,... i just recently pressed "F5" to test run a project & got an error saying "invalid defined compiler path" & it shows an incomplete string of a path below that. i'm not really sure how to fix this..... any ideas folks? possibly?

veltesian

one thing i should mention about this .... just an hour ago i encountered this error. 18 hours ago it seemed to compile just fine with no errors... i don't get what happened between then & just when the error appeared....

Paul Squires

When you go into "Compiler Setup", do you have any line selected like in the attached screenshot?

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

veltesian

looking @the image ... i see that you have the freebasic-1.10.0-winlibs-gcc-9.3.0 version selected.... the only item i have in that toolchain area is the "freebasic-1.09.0-winlibs-gcc-9.3.0".... i gathered by that i should update my copy of winFBE ??? i get the idea maybe that might be my issue ?

Paul Squires

Quote from: veltesian on February 20, 2024, 05:59:57 AMlooking @the image ... i see that you have the freebasic-1.10.0-winlibs-gcc-9.3.0 version selected.... the only item i have in that toolchain area is the "freebasic-1.09.0-winlibs-gcc-9.3.0".... i gathered by that i should update my copy of winFBE ??? i get the idea maybe that might be my issue ?
Not really. You should be able to select any of the toolchains in the list to use for your project. Your 1.09 toolchain should work.

Are you using the 3.1.0 version of WinFBE Editor Suite?
https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

veltesian

i just downloaded the version 3.1.0 & installed it [overwriting] the older system files within my winFBE folder.
after doing that, i tried to F5 an open project & it still gives me the same error.....

Joerg B.

Hello veltesian

... and what happens if you uninstall the older version correctly, delete all remnants and then completely reinstall the current version?
So far it looks as if any existing errors in the setting(s) have been overwritten.

Of course, you should first make a backup of your projects or the source code. ;) 
Greeting from Germany

Joerg

Paul Squires

I looked at the WinFBE source to see where that "invalid compiler path" error is triggered. It uses the compiler path as retrieved from your \Settings\WinFBE.ini file.

Here is a snippet from my ini file:
[Compiler]
FBWINCompiler32={CURDRIVE}:\PSS121\FB\WinFBE_Suite-Editor\Toolchains\FreeBASIC-1.10.0-winlibs-gcc-9.3.0\fbc32.exe
FBWINCompiler64={CURDRIVE}:\PSS121\FB\WinFBE_Suite-Editor\Toolchains\FreeBASIC-1.10.0-winlibs-gcc-9.3.0\fbc64.exe
CompilerBuild={DE391FE6-83AE-4FE6-B314-699CB195B809}
CompilerSwitches=
CompilerHelpfile={CURDRIVE}:\PSS121\FB\WinFBE_Suite-Editor\Help\freebasic_manual.chm
WinFBXHelpfile=
RunViaCommandWindow=0
DisableCompileBeep=0
WinFBXPath=

Take a look at your ini file to make sure that there are entries there for FBWINCompiler64

Have you moved your project to a different computer location at any time before you started to see the error?

Where is your WinFBE installed? What is the file path? Are there any spaces in the file path?

Is your WinFBE installation is a write protected area of your computer like \Program Files ?
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

veltesian

my *.ini is as folllows:

[Compiler]
FBWINCompiler32={CURDRIVE}:\WinFBE_Suite\Toolchains\FreeBASIC-1.10.0-winlibs-gcc-9.3.0\fbc32.exe
FBWINCompiler64={CURDRIVE}:\WinFBE_Suite\Toolchains\FreeBASIC-1.10.0-winlibs-gcc-9.3.0\fbc64.exe
CompilerBuild=
CompilerSwitches=
CompilerHelpfile={CURDRIVE}:\WinFBE_Suite\Help\freebasic_manual.chm
WinFBXHelpfile=
RunViaCommandWindow=0
DisableCompileBeep=0
WinFBXPath=

paul: Have you moved your project to a different computer location at any time before you started to see the error?
No i have not...

paul: Where is your WinFBE installed? What is the file path? Are there any...
A:\WinFBE_Suite       <----- [flash drive location directly connected]

Paul Squires

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I need to think of why this error would happen in your situation.

During compilation, the {CURDRIVE} macro "should" get converted to A in your case. I have a feeling that it may not be for some reason.

As a test, is it possible for you to copy your USB to the "C" drive and run it from there? If it runs from the C drive then the CURDRIVE macro is probably the problem and I will work to correct that with you.

I regularly run WinFBE from externally attached USB hard drives so I am not 100% confident that the CURDRIVE macro is the problem, but I've been wrong before and I'm sure that I'll be wrong again.  ;D
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

Paul Squires

It is also a little odd that your CompilerBuild ini is empty. Maybe also try hitting F7 when your project is loaded and select one of the various build setups. This may have nothing to do with your problem at all but you never know.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

veltesian

ok .... i pressed F7 to view the panel called "build configurations" & noticed the "set as default" box was not checked.
i checked that box while a project was open, then pressed ok. the build config window disappeared & finally my F5 press works as it previously did... thanks to paul & others who gave me the ability to get thru this.

thanks ever so much.

Paul Squires

This is great news and I am relieved that the problem is fixed and you are back to F5 happiness once again!

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software