• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

"segmentation violation" signal

Started by jermy, October 11, 2022, 05:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jermy

Hello dear people, this code just works, but I keep getting this message on exit;
Aborting due to runtime error 12 ("segmentation violation" signal) in WinMain.bas::WNDPROC()
If I want to load the dll from memory.
if I don't load the dll from memory then it just works fine no errors.
Do I have to remove the dll from memory though, or does the system do that for me?
Or am I doing something else wrong?

FUNCTION WndProc (BYVAL hWnd AS HWND, BYVAL uMsg AS UINT, BYVAL wParam AS WPARAM, BYVAL lParam AS LPARAM) AS LRESULT

STATIC as HANDLE m_hRichEditLib 

SELECT CASE uMsg

CASE WM_CREATE

DIM As CREATESTRUCT Ptr cstruct
            cstruct = CAST(CREATESTRUCT Ptr,lParam)

dim as long dwStyle =  WS_VISIBLE OR WS_TABSTOP OR ES_LEFT OR WS_HSCROLL OR WS_VSCROLL or WS_CHILD OR ES_AUTOHSCROLL OR ES_AUTOVSCROLL OR ES_MULTILINE OR ES_WANTRETURN OR ES_NOHIDESEL OR ES_SAVESEL
           dim as long dwExStyle = WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE

' // load the library
           m_hRichEditLib = LoadLibrary("MSFTEDIT.DLL")

' // Create the control
          dim as HWND hCtl = CreateWindowExW(dwExStyle, MSFTEDIT_CLASS, "", dwStyle, 50, 50, 250, 250, hWnd, CAST(HMENU, IDC_EDIT), cstruct->hInstance, NULL)
       EXIT FUNCTION

CASE WM_DESTROY

IF m_hRichEditLib THEN FreeLibrary m_hRichEditLib         
         ' // End the application
         PostQuitMessage(0)
         EXIT FUNCTION
   END SELECT

' // Default processing of Windows messages
   FUNCTION = DefWindowProcW(hWnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam)

END FUNCTION

thank you in advance

Paul Squires

You should not be using FreeLibrary in the WM_DESTROY message. Windows still exist during WM_DESTROY (ie, your RichEdit control) so if you unload the RichEdit DLL then you will have trouble. Other messages will fire after WM_DESTROY that expect a valid control handle (eg. WM_NCDESTROY).

The WM_NCDESTROY message is sent after the child windows have been destroyed. In contrast, WM_DESTROY is sent before the child windows are destroyed.

Personally, I would make m_hRichEditLib into global handle variable and call LoadLibrary BEFORE the main message pump, and FreeLibrary AFTER the main message pump exits.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

jermy

it's true what you tell I tested it, maybe a construcor / destructor is better in my case.
I have no experience with that yet so that will be fun.