• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

Need a little help with a test project

Started by Martin Francom, December 19, 2009, 07:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Francom

I want to build a MaskEdit for a TextBox it's pretty much done. 

The mask will be displayed as the user enters character into the TextBox.  The problem I am having is with Backspacing charters.  I can seem to get the cursor to move to the correct location after the backspace key is pressed.

I thought trapping the cursor location I would be able to place the cursor at the correct location.  Paul, had provided some code the should give the current location of the cursor.  I appearently don't understand how to use it because it always returns  0 for the starting and ending positions.  Here's a snippit of the code: 

Local t As String 
    Local a, c As Long
    Local cPos, lresult  As Long
    Local nStartPos As Long
    Local nEndPos   As Long
    SendMessage cHndl, %EM_GETSEL, VarPtr(nStartPos), VarPtr(nEndPos) To lResult

t = ""
    cPos = Lo(Word, lResult)
    FF_TextBox_SetText (HWND_FORM1_Text3, Str$(Hi(Word, lResult)))            'Str$(nEndPos))
    FF_TextBox_SetText (HWND_FORM1_Text4, 'Str$(Lo(Word, lResult)))           'Str$(nStartPos))

The whole project is attached if you would like to mess with it.  (It's small just a test program for this mask edit function.

Paul Squires

The problem is that you are using FF_TextBox_SetText for the control during that control's EN_CHANGE message. When you set the text of the TextBox, it will fire the EN_CHANGE message again! Therefore, you are firing another EN_CHANGE before the first on gets a chance to complete.

An easy way to work around this is to have a static flag in your EN_CHANGE message to filter out the second message.

Function FORM1_TEXT1_EN_CHANGE ( _
                               ControlIndex   As Long,  _  ' index in Control Array
                               hWndForm       As Dword, _  ' handle of Form
                               hWndControl    As Dword, _  ' handle of Control
                               idTextControl  As Long   _  ' identifier of text control
                               ) As Long

Static fChange As Long

If fChange = 0 Then
      fChange = 1
      mDateMMDDYYYY (HWND_FORM1_Text1)
      fChange = 0
   End If   

End Function

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Paul Squires

Just to be clear... FF_TextBox_SetText is not the problem here. Even if you used SetWindowText or the WM_SETTEXT message, you would still have the exact same problem.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Martin Francom

Yes, yes, yes... Thank you Paul Thank you.

I struggled an number of hours trying to figure out where I was going wrong.  I probably would have given up if it wasn't for your help.  Thank you.

Now, the process works as intended.   After I put this solution into the other Mask edit functions I will repost the MaskEdit Functions for others to benefit.