• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

Are you guys sticking with PowerBASIC?

Started by Paul Squires, August 17, 2015, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaas Holland

Hi Nathan,
When you are interested I can send you some code to work with SQLTools and MySQL e.g.

Dim IRT     as InkRegelType
    Dim St      as aString

FF_ComboBox_ResetContent Combo

St = "SELECT * FROM InkRegels WHERE Voorraad <> 0 AND Artikel = " + Format$(ArtNr)

SQL_Stmt IMMEDIATE, St.handle
    Do
        If SQL_Fetch <> SQL_SUCCESS Then Exit Do

St.handle = SQL_ResColString(1) : IRT.IdNr     = st.text
        St.handle = SQL_ResColString(7) : IRT.BatchNr  = st.text
        St.handle = SQL_ResColString(8) : IRT.Voorraad = st.text

to get your information out of the Database.

Klaas

Theo Gottwald

At this time i will stick with PB because using it, i come from A to B.
And that is currently all i need.
If it comes to x64, FB will beworth a look, while i think in x64 some features are incomplete, for example the inline-ASM ?

Paul, how about to make your forums public?

Thinking about PB, the String-Engine was the part that saved most time compared to other languages.
Therefore to make something like that is a good idea.

If it would accept strings in a 64 bit lenght for 64 bit it would be interesting for me.
For larger Data applications.

I installed the FB, realized that it tries to pirate the ".bas" ending (which is reserved for PB currently) and did not yet really use it.
Also looking in the developers log for next bugfixes was no so impressive from my standpoint as an outsider.
As said, if it would be interesting, then only 64-bit with 64 bit features, like 64-bit Inline ASM, 64-bit Strings.

Martin Francom

Paul,
   My express my thanks to you for FireFly.  It was the most important programming tool that made my Apothesoft pharmacy program possible.  I will continue with FF & PB for the foreseeable future. I am not at all interested in having to learn a new programming language.  My program is stable and when it no longer meets my customers needs, I will fully retire.
   Best wishes to you.
....Marty

Paul Squires

Thanks Marty,

Oh, you need to make one more forum post. You are now at "666" forum posts. Yikes!  :)
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Klaas Holland

Marty,

The switch from FF-PB to FF-FB does not need to learn another programming language, just another very similar dialect.
As a matter of fact, when you use FF, only the compiler is changed.

Klaas

Richard Kelly

I've got a lot of mileage sunk into PB and Jose objects and until I need 64 bit, I'm hanging onto PB.

Rick Kelly

Stephane Fonteyne

Quote from: Marty Francom on November 04, 2015, 01:46:15 AM
Paul,
   My express my thanks to you for FireFly.  It was the most important programming tool that made my Apothesoft pharmacy program possible.  I will continue with FF & PB for the foreseeable future. I am not at all interested in having to learn a new programming language.  My program is stable and when it no longer meets my customers needs, I will fully retire.
   Best wishes to you.
....Marty

If you create GUI applications then you can use Resource Builder v3.0. It creates resources that you can implement in PowerBasic v10.0 compiler. I use this tool because FireFly SDK Visual Designer is discontinue
Stephane Fonteyne
Ba. Elektronica - ICT
GSM : +32-xxxxxxxxxx
PowerBasic Developer & Hardware Support

Jean-pierre Leroy

I use this tool because FireFly SDK Visual Designer is discontinue
Dear Stephane,

I don't think it is fair to say that. You know like me that FireFly for PowerBASIC is a fantastic visual designer for Windows; it is so powerful, flexible and at the same time so easy to use; now that there are some lights at PowerBASIC Inc., I hope that Paul will be motivated to restart selling and updating FireFly for PowerBASIC.

Personnaly, "FireFly for PowerBASIC" is still my primary development tool with SQLitening.

Regards,
Jean-Pierre

Eddy Van Esch

Hi all,

I just 'discovered' the Python programming language a few days ago. I am giving it a testrun now.
The reason it drew my attention is because 2 other software packages that I sometimes use referred to it. The one, FreeCad (an open source CAD modelling software) is written in Python and also handles Python scripts.
The other is a stock trading platform that just recently got a Python API.

Python is a cross-platform interpreted language, so no speedking. That's okay because I don't intend to use it as a PowerBASIC replacement. Just as another tool in my toolbox.
That said, it has a wealth of libraries available. Many of them are written (and compiled) in C/C++, so that makes up a good deal for the lack of speed of the interpreted code.
It also has dynamic variable typing. Some consider this an advantage. I would rather see a Python equivalent of '# Dim All'...  :)

Python itself does not come with a GUI framework. You have to make a choice from a series of possible GUI framework candidates. For the moment I have Python installed, together with Qt and PyQt (the interface between Python and Qt).
As IDE I use Eric6, which also uses Qt. So integration with Qt should be quite good.

I have only just started to read the Python manual and typed in little more than a Print("Hello World!") so I am not yet able to answer difficult questions regarding Python ....  :)

https://www.python.org/

Kind regards
Eddy

Knuth Konrad

Python came to my attention when I found out that good parts of my then MMO EVE Online were coded in it. CCP hf (the makers of EVE Online) even enhanced (Stackless) Python performance-wise and contributed back to it: https://stackless.readthedocs.io/en/2.7-slp/stackless-python.html.

What I found a bit weird is the fact that indentation controls code blocks and that therefore it's crucial that tabs and spaces aren't mixed up (and all participants agree on the same tab size, i.e. 2, 3, 4 spaces.

Not sure if that's still correct though.

James OShea

Quote from: Jean-pierre Leroy on February 09, 2016, 02:59:16 AM
I use this tool because FireFly SDK Visual Designer is discontinue
Dear Stephane,

I don't think it is fair to say that. You know like me that FireFly for PowerBASIC is a fantastic visual designer for Windows; it is so powerful, flexible and at the same time so easy to use; now that there are some lights at PowerBASIC Inc., I hope that Paul will be motivated to restart selling and updating FireFly for PowerBASIC.

I agree and am also hopeful.

PB and Firefly are both stable releases. Have been for years.  There is no reason to not use Firefly, just like there is no reason not to use PB (when 64 bit programs are not required).

I hadn't done much programming in the past few years but now have the time and opportunity to get back into it.  I was looking at Xojo, which I like, but I like Firefly (with PowerBasic) so much better.  Firefly is as great as I remembered and using it mostly came back to me fairly quickly.