Support Forums > Other Software and Code

FB and external devices

(1/2) > >>

Petrus Vorster:
Hi All

I am member on another group called HackAday where people design all kinds of home projects and small engineering gadgets.
For the big snoring guys on the forum, some may be familiar with the CPAP equipment those people like myself use.

But inside is so few things that one cannot imagine them charging up to $2000 US for the better ones and the one i use (Chinese model) is about $400US.
Down here the price is multiplied by 15 into our terrible currency.

The thought of an Open source USB project came to mind. It is the algorithms and medical research that makes the machines so darn expensive, but inside there is a few pressure gauges and a quiet fan/turbine/blower., that is about it.

Since Freebasic is much more modern than Powerbasic It may be able to help up read data from external sensors and perhaps combine them into a USB connection to a Laptop at first.

Has anyone here ever dealt with external mechanics/servo motors etc, that could give a few pointers how one start to do that?

-regards, -Peter

Pierre Bellisle:
Hi Petrus,
I like HackAday,

First thing that come to mind is a $5 buck Arduino board with some shields (Add-on board).
Using USB to download some code written with one of the free Arduino compiler.
And then communicate via USB / Serial to get infos.

If you are a HackAday member maybe you already knew all this.

Petrus Vorster:
Hi Pierre

I will add the Arduino board to the thread on HackADay.
Arduino boards are imports here costing the equivalent of about $100 here.
Will let you know, thanks for the tip.

Pierre Bellisle:
Go on eBay and do a search for "Arduino" or "Arduino compatible"
Buy Chinese version they are as good as original, sometime better and cost much less.
They work with "Arduino software" witch is now separate from "Arduino hardware".
If you know how to program in FB, you will find it kind of easy to code for Arduino.

$7.14us for a UNO R3 PLUS Sensor I/O Shield Arduino Compatible Atmega328P 16U2 Expansion Board

There are tons of Chinese "Arduino shields" or "Add on" starting at 99 cents us.
Memory board, sensor, converter, USB, Serial, AD converter, WiFi, BlueTooth,
Clock, Relay, InfraRed, PushButton, MethaneSensor, StepperMotor, Terminal adapter, JoyStick, etc...

Petrus Vorster:
Hi Pierre
Very cool. The guys there seem to agree with this.
Turns out some bloke in Australia created freeware for a CPAP on Linux.
HackADay is very interesting indeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version