PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: text box problem, maybe  (Read 1023 times)

raymw

Re: text box problem, maybe
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 06:10:59 PM »

Ok, reading a file with about 2,200,000 (2.2 million) lines of code, a line at a time, parsing the g-code and plotting each line takes about 4 hours! (about 150 plots per second).
Last December,( iirc wrt the date), I wrote a far more complex program using firefly, that loaded the whole g-code file into memory (using the virtual list example) and as a side effect it could produce a reasonable drawing using the standard free basic line drawing commands, and that loads the same 2.2 million line g-code file, and creates the drawing in just a few seconds. However there is no method for varying brush widths, etc. I can either look at speeding up the winfbe version (it is actually drawing at a higher resolution than the screen can display) or add code to generate a line width for the firefly version.

raymw

Re: text box problem, maybe
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »

Well, I dumped the cgi graphics, and went back to the simple graphics in free basic. I sort of wrote my own brush/line drawing routine (takes me back to the trs 80 days) and got the drawing time down to 1.75 minutes. I looked at a few variable values, and got to 1.25 minutes. I may try and tune it some more, but the law of diminishing returns will come into play. Most likely, I will put my line drawing code into the g-code editor that I wrote with firefly, since that is more useful, as I can see all the workpiece dimensions, etc. and I think that it may also complete a drawing slightly quicker, since it is not reading in a line from file, parsing, drawing, reading another line.
I've attached a larger file image, over three million lines, and it took 1.75 minutes to draw. To machine, it would take about 14hours.
Annoyingly,for this particular purpose,  the basic graphics coordinate system is stuck by default in the old raster scanning display era, which is based on line printers, I guess.
Pages: 1 [2]