• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

request: Find and Replace dialog

Started by Bruce Huber, March 28, 2020, 04:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Huber

Sorry, Paul ... can ... not ... resist .......

(It's all @SeaVipe's fault! I just saw his post about "find in files"... so blame this on him!)  [smile]

I *very much* dislike the VisualStudio/WinFBE type find/replace dialog... limited and unfriendly.

I attached pic of the AkelPad f/r as a *good* example... (can you embed an image in a post in Simple Machines? I'll have to go research).

I'm not really a fan of the regex part, (always felt it took longer to get a regex right than to do the f/r by hand), but the inclusion of control character handling is enormously helpful, (allows for multi-line find/replace, etc.).

I actually keep an AkelPad window open, when I'm working in WinFBE, just to copy the code over so that I can do find/replace... and then copy it back to the WinFBE editor. That's how much more difficult it is to do anything but the simplest f/r in WinFBE.

This might be a large project for WinFBE, so I'm just asking for "put it on the list"... I totally agree that visual builder is most important... I can just copy/paste and get by. But it would definitely be a "nice to have".

(Again... it's all @SeaVipe's fault!)

Thanks!
Bruce

SeaVipe

Sheesh, All I was "thinking of" was a simple "find In Project" option like the FF Find dlg in the attached. :0)
Clive Richey

Bruce Huber

Yep, I just looked at the find/replace code in AkelPad-4.9.8-src/Edit.c ... that's a good size chunk of code to get all of the functionality that he does.

So... later...

Thanks!
Bruce

Paul Squires

Lol, in the first versions of WinFBE, I had an old school looking dialog for find/replace. There was some push back in the FB forum against it because it looked lie something from 20 year old editors. So... I implemented the Visual Code style dialog. After having using it the past year or more, I have no problem with it. It does what I need it to do and I can access it quickly with Ctrl+F or Ctrl+R. I can look at this again down the road. I will look at the "Find in Files" for Project files only. Hopefully that is do-able.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

David Kenny

Quote from: Bruce Huber on March 28, 2020, 04:36:23 PM
I'm not really a fan of the regex part, (always felt it took longer to get a regex right than to do the f/r by hand), but the inclusion of control character handling is enormously helpful, (allows for multi-line find/replace, etc.).

I would agree about the replace part, but the find part I really disagree.  Often I will get pages of hits on a simple search in FF, but can get it down to a substantial fraction using the regex search in Notepad++.

Put me down for RegEx search in the "Options" when/if you ever revisit your "Find In Files" dialog code.
Also, for some kind of search term highlighting in the "Search Results" tab. Even if you stay mono color.

David

José Roca

Paul, if you need to implement Find/Replace using regular expressions, look at the CRegExp class:
https://github.com/JoseRoca/WinFBX/blob/master/docs/String%20Management/CRegExp%20Class.md

Paul Squires

Thanks Jose, I just add RegEx searching to my To Do list. I'll use your class to implement it.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer