PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: request: Find and Replace dialog  (Read 249 times)

Bruce Huber

• Little Newbie
request: Find and Replace dialog
« on: March 28, 2020, 04:36:23 PM »

Sorry, Paul ... can ... not ... resist .......

(It's all @SeaVipe's fault! I just saw his post about "find in files"... so blame this on him!)  [smile]

I *very much* dislike the VisualStudio/WinFBE type find/replace dialog... limited and unfriendly.

I attached pic of the AkelPad f/r as a *good* example... (can you embed an image in a post in Simple Machines? I'll have to go research).

I'm not really a fan of the regex part, (always felt it took longer to get a regex right than to do the f/r by hand), but the inclusion of control character handling is enormously helpful, (allows for multi-line find/replace, etc.).

I actually keep an AkelPad window open, when I'm working in WinFBE, just to copy the code over so that I can do find/replace... and then copy it back to the WinFBE editor. That's how much more difficult it is to do anything but the simplest f/r in WinFBE.

This might be a large project for WinFBE, so I'm just asking for "put it on the list"... I totally agree that visual builder is most important... I can just copy/paste and get by. But it would definitely be a "nice to have".

(Again... it's all @SeaVipe's fault!)

Thanks!
Bruce

SeaVipe

• Windows 10
Re: request: Find and Replace dialog
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 05:13:06 PM »

Sheesh, All I was "thinking of" was a simple "find In Project" option like the FF Find dlg in the attached. :0)
Clive Richey
*“You Either Have To Be Part Of The Solution, Or You’re Going To Be Part The Problem.” Eldridge Cleaver.
#StaySafe, Always  Keep A Safe #SocialDistance, #WashYourHands Often and please, #StayHome!

Bruce Huber

• Little Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 08:30:46 PM »

Yep, I just looked at the find/replace code in AkelPad-4.9.8-src/Edit.c ... that's a good size chunk of code to get all of the functionality that he does.

So... later...

Thanks!
Bruce

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 09:37:03 PM »

Lol, in the first versions of WinFBE, I had an old school looking dialog for find/replace. There was some push back in the FB forum against it because it looked lie something from 20 year old editors. So... I implemented the Visual Code style dialog. After having using it the past year or more, I have no problem with it. It does what I need it to do and I can access it quickly with Ctrl+F or Ctrl+R. I can look at this again down the road. I will look at the "Find in Files" for Project files only. Hopefully that is do-able.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

David Kenny

• Windows 7 & 10
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »

I'm not really a fan of the regex part, (always felt it took longer to get a regex right than to do the f/r by hand), but the inclusion of control character handling is enormously helpful, (allows for multi-line find/replace, etc.).

I would agree about the replace part, but the find part I really disagree.  Often I will get pages of hits on a simple search in FF, but can get it down to a substantial fraction using the regex search in Notepad++.

Put me down for RegEx search in the "Options" when/if you ever revisit your "Find In Files" dialog code.
Also, for some kind of search term highlighting in the "Search Results" tab. Even if you stay mono color.

David
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:30:02 PM by David Kenny »

José Roca

• Guru Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 05:04:13 PM »

Paul, if you need to implement Find/Replace using regular expressions, look at the CRegExp class:
https://github.com/JoseRoca/WinFBX/blob/master/docs/String%20Management/CRegExp%20Class.md

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 08:09:54 PM »

Thanks Jose, I just add RegEx searching to my To Do list. I'll use your class to implement it.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer