PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Editor - IDE (Visual Studio Code)  (Read 116 times)

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
Editor - IDE (Visual Studio Code)
« on: June 03, 2020, 10:04:16 PM »

I had not settled on an editor/IDE so that search needed to happen and here are the tools that I evaluated with the goal of a fully functional, self contains, portable setup:
-   Dev-C++. Worked okay. A bit dated looking but the deal breaker was that the debugger would crash the system every time I tried to invoke it.

-   CodeBlocks - Meh. Maybe if I ever decide to use wxWidgets for cross platform GUI’s.

-   CodeWrite - Not bad. Pretty basic. Probably works better directly on Linux.

-   Atom – I loved the interface. Clean. However, the support for C++ via extensions was pretty basic.

-   Visual Studio Code (VSCode) – I used this editor for previous web development. It has come a long way since then. I just need to modify the environment to tame down the use of the so many colors and distracting icons. Way too much overkill. Also, the theme itself needed to be changed. I will be using a dark theme even though I have been using light colors in my other editors for years. This ide has it all for C++. Intellisense, linter, formatting, code complete, debugging,… everything I need for just starting out. Also, it is cross platform so I will easily be able to use it on Linux when the time comes.

Download the most recent portable version: https://portapps.io/app/vscode-portable/

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:08:54 PM by Paul Squires »
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
Re: Editor - IDE (Visual Studio Code)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:25:56 PM »

Attached is a screenshot of my current Visual Studio Code environment looks like.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer