Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WOW!!  (Read 867 times)

Joerg Buckel

• FF3 and WinFBE+WinFBX User
Re: WOW!!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 06:36:46 AM »

Hello Paul
To set himself new challenges through new goals and to implement them is certainly also a sign against a standstill or for your own further development.

In your case it is certainly also a challenge. I also like your invitation to be a part of this further development.

I think that there will be very few people in the forum who have the prerequisites to follow this path.

I will (unfortunately) not be one of them. To go the easier way in programming is not the best way. Also, because you don't necessarily grow in your abilities.

Jose is simply right. At least that's what he had said in the past before.

But I'm not a professional programmer either. In my spare time, a good result must be achieved in a very short time.

But I am also of the opinion that what perhaps most people use as a programming language (no matter from which provider) does not have to be the best.

I am curious where this path will lead you to.

Good luck!
Greeting from Germany

Joerg

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 09:35:37 PM »

Thanks Joerg, I appreciate you taking the time to post a comment on this topic. I am happy using FreeBasic because it gets the job done for the programs that I've written. There are things that I wish that were different but the project is so old now that it is entrenched in it's own legacy problems. For example, it remains way too focuses on maintaining backward compatibility with QuickBasic. There is an outdated graphics engine embedded in the runtime that is not easily uncoupled. There are a wealth of programmers on the FB forum that would never hear tell of leaving the old technologies and QB concepts behind. There are a few people who would like to make the current version "FreeBasic Classic" and then strip out all the old stuff and just advance the project with newer programming design concepts. Sadly, there are so few people that understand the inner workings of the compiler that I doubt development progress is very slow. There is so much potential there but once you slap the BASIC moniker on something then it just doesn't get the attention it deserves. There are many things like more powerful string handling functions (like PowerBasic's) that should be part of the core runtime. Also, standardized runtime code for more advanced structures like vectors and hash maps. Things that would make the language easier to use for newcomers. However, because much of that stuff is not part of the "BASIC standard", whatever the hell that means, then all you get are forum members fist waiving saying that "you're making the language too much C". That's incredibly sad and disappointing.

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

SeaVipe

• Windows 10
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 01:22:42 PM »

It's conversations like this, Paul that make me wish I had taken the C path when it was offered to me decades ago. Instead, I took the quick (easy) route and got stuck into VB. A bit late in life for me to learn C++ and make anything of it. Perhaps the FB folks can ignore the fist-waving and "make the language much more like C".
Let me also wish you Good Luck on your wonderful journey!
Clive Richey
*“You Either Have To Be Part Of The Solution, Or You’re Going To Be Part The Problem.” Eldridge Cleaver.
#StaySafe, Always  Keep A Safe #SocialDistance, #WashYourHands Often and please, #StayHome!
Pages: 1 [2]