• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

WinFBE 3.3.0 - Beta - Restore previous session files on startup & StatusBar

Started by SeaVipe, April 04, 2022, 07:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaVipe

Hi Paul, not sure if you've even gotten around to this yet, but Environment Options|General Options|Restore previous session files on startup. is not working.
This is more wish list than anything else: StatusBar - is it possible to add Panel properties like Inset, Raised, Border Colour/Width etc?

Clive Richey

Paul Squires

Quote from: SeaVipe on April 04, 2022, 07:17:40 PM
Hi Paul, not sure if you've even gotten around to this yet, but Environment Options|General Options|Restore previous session files on startup. is not working.
What do you mean by "not working"? Is it not loading any of the files at all when you enable the option and start WinFBE? It works for me but maybe I am not using the same sequence of events as you are.

One thing that may not be readily apparent is that you need to always "Save Session" if you add or remove files from your session. This is different from the way that Projects work where Projects always saves the latest state of the files that are open in the editor. I wrote Sessions to mirror the way that Notepad++ implements it.

This is more wish list than anything else: StatusBar - is it possible to add Panel properties like Inset, Raised, Border Colour/Width etc?
IIRC, Inset/Raised no longer appear in later versions of Windows that use the newer versions of CommCtrl, manifests and theming. I will add it to my list to look at when I start working on the visual designer.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

SeaVipe

I typically work with projects. I usually launch WinFBE from the Windows TaskBar by right-clicking and selecting the project I will be working on. This works. Save the project and close WinFBE. Now, If I just launch WinFBE (left-click the TaskBar icon not right-click), WinFBE opens but the work space is blank, nothing loads. I have to manually load a file or project.
Clive Richey

David Roberts

Quote from: SeaVipeRestore previous session files on startup. is not working.

Paul mentioned, “you need to always "Save Session" if you add or remove files from your session.” This will create a file called <\Whatever.session>. We can have many of them scattered throughout our folders. I will not use this feature because I may not want to restore on every startup. However, it is a simple matter to  'Load Session...' manually.

If the name <Whatever> exists in the target directory, perhaps a bas file, then use <Whatever.session> in the 'File name:' box of the Save Session dialog.

Session files are text files.

I cannot answer Project questions because I don't use Projects.

SeaVipe

Ah! I see. So instead of Project|Recent Projects|pick from list, I would click File|Load Session|browse folders for session file. Good to know, thanks, David.

Update: So I saved a project as a session in the project folder. Closed WinFBE. I didn't want to work on the Project Saved As Session so I right-clicked the TaskBar WinFBE icon and selected a different Project. WinFBE opened and promptly started to load the Project Saved As Session, not the Project I selected from the TaskBar list. Then WinFBE crashed. This is repeatable.

I now have 2 Projects Saved As Sessions (A and B). I run WinFBE from the Windows TaskBar icon with a left click. The last Project (A) Saved As Session opens (very fast) I then click Project|Close Project. Then I click File|Load Session and browse for a different Project (B) Saved As Session in another folder. The other Project (B) opens. Close WinFBE. Run WinFBE from the Windows TaskBar icon with a left-click and WinFBE opens with Project A, not B. To solve this, I opened Project B and Saved Session; now it works.
Clive Richey

Paul Squires

Quote from: SeaVipe on April 05, 2022, 04:30:23 PM
Update: So I saved a project as a session in the project folder. Closed WinFBE. I didn't want to work on the Project Saved As Session so I right-clicked the TaskBar WinFBE icon and selected a different Project. WinFBE opened and promptly started to load the Project Saved As Session, not the Project I selected from the TaskBar list. Then WinFBE crashed. This is repeatable.
If you have a Project open and active and then do a "Save Session", WinFBE will save that Project as a session. If you have the Environment option selected that automatically loads the last used Session file then WinFBE will load that session that now contains a reference to your Project. Based on the way that you choose to open files into WinFBE (Windows TaskBar list) then you should probably have that Environment option unchecked because it will interfere with you loading files different than the last saved Session file.

I hope that I am understanding your situation correctly.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer