• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

WinFBE v3.0.2 (BETA-2)

Started by Paul Squires, October 16, 2022, 06:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Squires

Download:
https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases/tag/3.02-beta-2

NOTE: Download and replace the existing WinFBE EXE's with the two found in this download: https://www.planetsquires.com/files/WinFBE_Peter2.zip  These EXE's should fix a compile time error reported in the posts below.

NOTE: CHANGES ARE BEING MADE TO THE CODETIP AUTOCOMPLETE POPUPS SO RESULTS MAY BE INCONSISTENT

Editor:
- Fixed bug where WinFBE 64-bit only would GPF if currently loaded file is edited by an external editor causing WinFBE to reload the file.
- Fixed bug where focus would be lost from the Find textbox as the user typed a search word and a corresponding match was found.
- Fixed bug where an invalid startup position for the editor would be saved if WinFBE closed while it is minimized to the Windows Taskbar.

Visual Designer:
- MAJOR FILE FORMAT CHANGE: Form data separated from code file and is now saved to external file with *.design file extension.
- When selecting a control from the toolbox and then just clicking on a form (not "drawing" it), it creates a control with a height and width of 0. There are now default sizes for all controls that may be created too small.
- When double-clicking an event in the toolbox, automatically enable that event, create the placeholder (if needed) and switch to that event in the code view.
- When double-clicking a control in design view, automatically switch to the code view for the default event handler for that control (e.g.: the _Click handler if it's a button).
- Listview was not clearing columns/rows when a form is reused (e.g. via popup form).
- Added Listview property (HeaderThemed) to enable/disable theme drawing for the header portion of the Listview.
- The ability to set the default control font name and size for all new controls created for a project, rather than always defaulting to Segoe UI 9pt.
- Added Button control property (AllowFocusRect) to enable/disable drawing the rectangle around the button when it has focus. Only valid if Theme property is False.
- Added Button control property (TextForeColorHot) to set text color when mouse hovers over the button. Only valid if Theme property is False.
- Added Control property (Anchor) which allows you to specify layout resize/movement at design time (uses the WinFBX CLayout class behind the scenes).
- Added Anchor property for Forms.
- Added ChildFormParent property for Forms.
- Added new (mostly complete) internal code parser that creates codetips and autocomplete popups.

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Paul Squires

Attached is a sample project showing child forms using Anchor properties.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

Joerg B.

Hello Paul

Thank you very much for the second beta version.

... is in the second beta the codetip and the the code completion disabled?

At least with a test project after installation nothing is shown.
Greeting from Germany

Joerg

Paul Squires

Yes, as per the first post:

NOTE: CHANGES ARE BEING MADE TO THE CODETIP AUTOCOMPLETE POPUPS SO RESULTS MAY BE INCONSISTENT

Having said that, I have done a lot of work on this since I posted the Beta 2 and I am hoping that by Beta 3 that I should have the majority of that functionality working correctly.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

Joerg B.

Hey Paul

oh my.
Who can read is clearly in the advantage.
Obviously, I do not have this advantage. :o
Greeting from Germany

Joerg

Petrus Vorster

No worries Joerg.

I am the illeterate one here.
So many times I wished i could just put my foot in my mouth....

Great work Paul!

Regards, Peter
-Regards
Peter

philbar

Hi Paul,

This is just one of those "Now what?" moments.

I created a little test project with a few controls in it, and then I added a status bar and a menu. When I compiled the project, the linker failed with:

undefined reference to FRMMAIN_MAINMENU_POPUP@8
undefined reference to FRMMAIN_MAINMENU_CLICK@8
undefined reference to FRMMAIN_STATUSBAR_CLICK@8

When I switched to the Code tab, all three events were right there, so I compiled again without changing anything, and it worked just fine. I played with it and found that the menu and status bar events aren't added to the code until after a compile. I even saved the project and shut down WinFBE, but on restarting, the events weren't in the code until after I tried to compile it.

Note: toolbar events don't have that problem, and when I tried the same thing in Ver. 3.0.1 the events appeared in the code after a few seconds delay.

Anything I can do to make your day.

Phil

Paul Squires

Thanks Phil, I appreciate the report. You have noticed something that Peter also experienced and sent me a private email about earlier today. I have coded a fix for the problem that should work. You can download the new EXE's from this link and see if it fixes the problem.

https://www.planetsquires.com/files/WinFBE_Peter.zip

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

philbar

Thanks for the update, Paul. It's daunting how you can write actual code while I'm still sharpening my pencil.

It's an interesting timing issue. If all my controls are in place on the form before I add the status bar, then the status event doesn't show up in the code until I compile it. The linking error is gone now, by the way.

However, if I add one more control (with an event), or even just add an event to an existing control, after creating the status bar then the status event is inserted along with the control event, and I can go ahead and do whatever action is needed when the status bar is clicked.

Paul Squires

Quote from: philbar on October 19, 2022, 10:50:58 AMHowever, if I add one more control (with an event), or even just add an event to an existing control, after creating the status bar then the status event is inserted along with the control event, and I can go ahead and do whatever action is needed when the status bar is clicked.

Thanks Phil, I found the source of this problem. In previous WinFBE versions, switching from the visual designer to the code editor would trigger an internal call to "GenerateFormCode" and that function would add any default event code that may be missing from the code editor. In your case, it is the StatusBar event code. The problem was that a certain state flag was not set prior to calling the GenerateFormCode function so it would not generate the StatusBar event handler as one would expect. The GenerateFormCode is also called during the compile process so that is why you saw it show up when you compiled.

This is now fixed and will be in the next update (or you can download the latest EXE's directly from the GitHub repository if you want it sooner).

Thanks!
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

SeaVipe

Hi Paul, Is there a way to determine how much time is left in a session while composing a post? Too many times I've exceeded this timer and clicking 'Post' clears the editor and pops up the login box.
I had a really wordy post for you about .Design files not displaying in BETA-2.  :'(
Clive Richey

Paul Squires

Quote from: SeaVipe on October 19, 2022, 02:49:43 PMHi Paul, Is there a way to determine how much time is left in a session while composing a post? Too many times I've exceeded this timer and clicking 'Post' clears the editor and pops up the login box.
I had a really wordy post for you about .Design files not displaying in BETA-2.  :'(

I could not not find a setting in the forum software that gives this information but I did find one (and I just enabled it) called: "Enable the saving of Post drafts". I set that option to automatically save draft posts every 30 seconds so hopefully what happened to you will not happen again.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

Paul Squires

I have updated the EXE download link in the initial post because the code generation for the Form's control ID Anchor property was incorrect.    https://www.planetsquires.com/files/WinFBE_Peter2.zip

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

SeaVipe

Hi Paul,
The attached form file will not load into any version of WinFBE that I currently have on my PC. WinFBE crashes if this file is included in a project or opened as a single file or added to a project.
Clive Richey

Paul Squires

Hi Clive,

I have analyzed your form file and the problem is that for some reason the first "control" that is output is not the Form itself but a Label. The Form data is not output until further down in the file. That is strange because the Form data should always be the first data that is output because the controls get loaded to the pointer created by that form control. If the form control does not exist then the controls will GPF when trying to attach to nothing.

I have manually edited the file to move the form data to the first position and now the file will successfully load. Please try it for yourself to see if it works.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software