PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Logon Program  (Read 552 times)

Haakon Birkeland

• Master Member
  • XP Pro x64 SP2, (Win 7 Pro x64), Win 8 Pro x64
Logon Program
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:06:23 PM »

Hi Paul
Is the logon program that was in the tutorial still available. I find myself having to write one. Just want to check if I am missing something. Right now I do a crc on the password associated with the name which is store in an ini file.
Don't know if that's adequate for a logon.

Bert
Haakon 8o)

jthompson

Logon Program
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 08:48:26 PM »

Anyone who has access to the INI file where the CRC'd password is stored could CRC a huge list of passwords from dictionary files.  If they find a matching CRC they're in.

But, it would be even easier for them to think up their own password, CRC it, and save that in your INI file.

It depends on who your application is intended for, the environment it will operate in, and what it is intended to protect.  If you're just looking to confuse things a little further you could maybe expand on the CRC so it doesn't necessarily 'look' like a CRC (different number of characters, ranges, etc.)

Hope this helps.

-John

Haakon Birkeland

• Master Member
  • XP Pro x64 SP2, (Win 7 Pro x64), Win 8 Pro x64
Logon Program
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »

The logon program I wrote is only for minimal security. At this point whoever wants to get in has to break in the office and then logon thru windows and then go thru the accounting program.
Seems to me that's a lot of work for mostly information that has not much value except for confidentiality.

I used Semen's encode for password. It works.

bert
Haakon 8o)