PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Image Library Question  (Read 825 times)

Andrew Lindsay

Image Library Question
« on: November 10, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »

Okay, in the image library dialog, there is an 'interesting' button that says - Change Format - however, when I load in a PNG file, highlight it and select Change format to change it to an icon file, it doesn't appear to work? I can't seem to find an ico file anywhere.

Am I missing the point here with this feature, or is there something else I need to do?

Regards

Andrew

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
Re: Image Library Question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »

Hi Andrew,

The idea behind that option is not to change the image (disk) format from one format to another. It basically changes the way that the image will be referenced in the code generated resource file. Normally, images such as Icons and bitmaps would be output to the resource file similar as follows:

IMAGE_DELETECONTROL ICON DISCARDABLE "..\\IMAGES\\DELETECONTROL.ICO"

This works great for Image Buttons or Picture controls, however if you try to use the Icon in a FireImage control then it may not work. This is because the FireImage control expects the format to be in the resource file as RCDATA. I tried my best (with Jose's help) to not have this quirk in the FireImage control but sometimes things just don't work as we hope.

Changing to RCDATA results in this line in the resource file:

IMAGE_DELETECONTROL RCDATA DISCARDABLE "..\\IMAGES\\DELETECONTROL.ICO"

In order to allow the user to switch from ICON, BITMAP, RCDATA, I had to add that option to the Image Manager. A little confusing, but certainly necessary.

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer