PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working with OCX/ActiveX Controls (MapPoint)  (Read 604 times)

John Thompson

Working with OCX/ActiveX Controls (MapPoint)
« on: November 20, 2009, 04:27:49 PM »

Hi,

I'm trying to use Microsoft MapPoint's OCX control.  With FireFly 2 I was able to display it, but not interact with it.  I was curious to see how it functioned now.  I followed along in the help file until I got to...

In the "Prog_ID" property text box, enter the Program ID that we took note of earlier. Type in "MSCAL.Calendar.7" (without the quotes). That accomplishes Step #1 of our three step task. If the Calendar control is correctly registered on your computer then you should magically see the Calendar control appear on your Form in FireFly. Pretty cool.

For mine (MapPoint.Control.13), nothing appeared.  I tried your example in the help file and it did.

I'm assuming this means MapPoint isn't properly registered on my computer.  I am new to OCX/ActiveX and don't understand quite what this means.  I installed MapPoint using the default settings.  Could you explain further what needs to be done to use it in FireFly 3 when you have time?

Thanks!

-John

Josť Roca

• Guru Member
Re: Working with OCX/ActiveX Controls (MapPoint)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »

Apparently, this control has some special requirements. If it calls IOleInPlaceObjectWindowless, that interface is not implemented in my container.

http://www.planetsquires.com/protect/forum/index.php?topic=1400.msg11770#msg11770

Did it work with Dominic's container?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:25:39 PM by Jose Roca »

John Thompson

Re: Working with OCX/ActiveX Controls (MapPoint)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »

Yeah, if I remember correctly with FireFly 2 I could display the object, and I think even control it via code, but it would not respond to any keyboard or mouse actions.  Dominic provided some code from his designer that allowed me to use it as expected.  I just figured maybe with the new PB and FF stuff it was worth a shot.