PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The planetary health diet  (Read 2295 times)

raymw

Re: The planetary health diet
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »

Who wants a burger when you can have this:

Hi Jose,
Is that Serrano ham? If so I have some, it often comes in small packs with a selection of Cherizo, in Lidl's supermarket/elsewhere. I quite like it, but differently processed compared to the UK type of ham. It is almost like bacon in texture. I guess it's from a different part of the pig. It's quite expensive over here, will most likely be unobtainable in a month or so...

Best wishes,

Ray

José Roca

• Guru Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »

No, it is Iberian ham, but it is very expensive, even in Spain. I buy ham of Teruel, that is much better than Serrano and not too expensive here.

> I guess it's from a different part of the pig.

An Spanish ham is a dry-cured leg of a pork.

José Roca

• Guru Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »

A little bit of science.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/tag/alkaline-water/

Magical drinks and "superfoods" are marketing scams to suck your money.

What makes a big difference is if you are willing to buy fresh products and cook them yourself or if you prefer to buy processed food and heat it in the microwave.

Where I live we have the best oranges in the world and are cheap, yet many people prefer to buy bottled orange juice.

raymw

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 08:54:28 PM »

Talking of oranges, a few years back, sales fell off in supermarkets, since folk couldn't be bothered to peel oranges. Lots of 'easy peel' oranges now. In many countries they don't peel them, but bite/cut a hole in the end, and suck out the juice.

José Roca

• Guru Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 11:04:01 AM »

> Lots of 'easy peel' oranges now

They are of worse quality.

> In many countries they don't peel them, but bite/cut a hole in the end, and suck out the juice.

And they lose all the fiber.

Cooking needs patience and practice, but the results are rewarding.

Petrus Vorster

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »

Ahh, at least we produce some good quality over here, except in the exact opposite time of the year.
Now is Mango time over here. Cheap and delicious.
Pineapples plenty now.
Oranges here only in July. Some good export stuff at least available here.
Some guys about 300km from here exports all the way to Russia. From the tip of Africa to Russia....and still profit.
No ham like yours. We can get the italian stuff which sells for ridiculous prices at deli's but then we have South African Biltong.
(But most definitely not so very healthy! BEEF,BEEF,BEEF)
(Biltong is the bigger, fatter, naturally cured thick cut and better tasting big cousin of Jerky)

And South Africans eat that stuff by the bucketload....hence we look like most Americans....
The only Spanish product you will ever see in a supermarket is Olive Oil and smoked Paprika, but that is that.

Andrew Lindsay

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 07:02:13 AM »

Magical drinks and "superfoods" are marketing scams to suck your money.

What makes a big difference is if you are willing to buy fresh products and cook them yourself or if you prefer to buy processed food and heat it in the microwave.

Where I live we have the best oranges in the world and are cheap, yet many people prefer to buy bottled orange juice.

I agree, whole-heartedly.  I love cooking fresh, there's nothing better than freshly caught and cooked marron, straight from the dam, even if they do react badly with me the next day.

raymw

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 06:12:53 PM »

A bit of a chat about the USA diet, etc. I don't know exactly what their 'food pyramid' is, but most likely could guess well enough, if I was that interest, and could find out easy enough. We were fitter after ww2, not so much food, and little of it processed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvdlpFWk0Zg

José Roca

• Guru Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »

Yesterday, Bloomberg published its list of World's Healthiest Nations.

"Maybe it’s something in the gazpacho or paella, as Spain just surpassed Italy to become the world’s healthiest country."

See: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-24/spain-tops-italy-as-world-s-healthiest-nation-while-u-s-slips

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 01:38:38 PM »

Jose, I saw that story in my news feed this morning and immediately thought of you and this thread.  :)
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

José Roca

• Guru Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 02:09:09 PM »

The relation with this thread:

Eating Habits

Researchers say eating habits may provide clues to health levels enjoyed by Spain and Italy, as a “Mediterranean diet, supplemented with extra-virgin olive oil or nuts, had a lower rate of major cardiovascular events than those assigned to a reduced-fat diet,” according to a study led by the University of Navarra Medical School.

If we eat better, we live more.

Do you know that I never have eaten an hamburguer? Only its appearance already disgusts me.

raymw

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »

I couldn't immediately find where the UK was in the table, but 19, iirc, better than I thought. I found this http://www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/10-healthiest-countries-in-the-world/, and although not up-to-date, it gives other aspects to the results. My grandfather lived quite a while, he used to sleep most afternoons - he was a fisherman, and his work depended on the  tides, to a certain extent. wrt burgers often consisting of 'engineered meat' you probably don't want to know what that is.

José Roca

• Guru Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »

Supersize me!

Joerg Buckel

• FF3 and WinFBE+WinFBX User
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 02:05:01 AM »

Hi
These parents don't even know what they're doing to their kids.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:09:08 AM by Joerg Buckel »
Greeting from Germany

Joerg

Petrus Vorster

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 12:56:33 PM »

I travel a lot.
Just last week i was in a large town in North West.
Lunch time. SO what is around me in about 3KM radius?
Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut, Steers, Debonairs Pizza, Nando's, WIMPY (much like Wendy's).
So for the man on the road, what do you do? Drive-through of course!
And Mcdonalds is closest.
And the company gave me a new Ford Ranger Pickup and after a struggle with the safety-belt to get in, i realised i am so in trouble.
But the problem is also, in that radius, there is not a single place that really sells something decent at a good price.
Then again, even where i stay. Only the local SPAR(i don't know if you have this supermarket group) you can buy reasonable Sunday dinners, but during the week they too sells Pies, rolls, fries, and all fatty deep fried stuff.
This is the problem everywhere. Everyone is in a rush and the fast food industry, even those with good intentions, all sells burgers, fries, and my personal favourite and reason for my big butt : Coca-Cola.

A dire situation indeed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3