PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visual Designer snap to grid?  (Read 361 times)

mysterydip

• Little Newbie
Visual Designer snap to grid?
« on: July 21, 2019, 02:57:30 PM »

Hi there,

New to FreeBasic and WinFBE, but have been using various flavors since I had a cartridge of BASIC on an IBM PCjr. This is probably just something I missed in the UI but wasn't able to find it and didn't see anything on the forum (which leads me again to think I'm missing something obvious). In VB6, the forms have a grid of dots that by default things snap to, which you can then edit their exact positioning after placement. Is there some equivalent here? I like to have everything line up as I freehand move things around and resize. If there is, is there also a way to set the size of that grid?

Thanks!
Keith

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
Re: Visual Designer snap to grid?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 05:56:10 PM »

WinFBE does not have snap to grid. It has a snap to line type of system. Under the "Designer" top menu, just make sure that "Enable SnapLines" is checked. It works okay but can be a bit finicky if many controls are very close together. I will work on cleaning up that logic once the other visual designer elements are completed.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

mysterydip

• Little Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »

I did see that and it is enabled, but I wasn't sure how to make use of it. I'll do some more digging/examples, thanks!

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 06:59:32 AM »

The way that it should work is that as you move a control around on a form, alignment lines should appear as it approaches the top/sides of adjacent controls. When you get really close to the control then it should snap to that control's position. It seems to work okay in most cases.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

mysterydip

• Little Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 10:51:10 PM »

Ah, that makes sense. I was trying in areas without other controls. That seems a decent compromise. Thanks!