PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WinFBE Suite - Howto Start a Project  (Read 413 times)

Royal Cole

• Little Newbie
  • FF3 User
WinFBE Suite - Howto Start a Project
« on: October 25, 2019, 02:42:24 PM »

Not a new or beginner program coder, but new to WinFBE Suite.  Downloaded latest version and built/integrated compiler on my desktop PC.  Need instructions (step by step) on how to initiate a new project (any simple application will do for both console and GUI apps).  I tried using the "new project" button in WinFBE, but apparently I am doing something wrong.  For example..
1. Tool Bar - Project tab - New Project, and get popup window.
2. Asks for Project Path, so I browse to the path I want to be the home for my project.  Is there just wanting the path and or, should I also provide the path and project name?
3. I don't enter anything for either Other Options (23 or 64 bit) - leave blank.
4. Use checked box for "Create resource file and manifest".
5. Check OK and I get what appears to be a new project under the "Explorer" sidebar, with an EMPTY "Untitled1" editor file to the right of the Explorer sidebar.
6. I'm not sure I did this correctly, AND, was expecting a standard console or GUI template, but that did not happen.
7. What did I do wrong and or how do I get a standard template for either a console program or a GUI program???
8. Can't find provided instructions on using the editor and opening both "projects" and simple coded FreeBASIC files.
Thanks in advance.

raymw

Re: WinFBE Suite - Howto Start a Project
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »

You can select build configuration under options. To get the gui form designer, then select 'designer', new form. You will have to manage your own naming convention, put each project in a new folder/whatever, else you will find you are modifying the wrong code. The editor is not like that in visual studio, for example. You will have to exercise discipline in variable name conventions, indenting, etc. You can switch between gui design and code for the form you are designing by double clicking on the tab, or the form, or use the tabs at bottom of page. afaik, your steps down to and including 5 is how it is. There are some winfbe help tips under help menu. and some example code in the winfbe suite folder .
hth

Best wishes

SeaVipe

• Windows 10
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:17:57 PM »

After duplicating your items 1 through 5, I pressed F5 to compile and execute and the result was no errors or warnings and a successful Untitled1.exe was built and run (Win32 Console Release).
Then Designer>Add Form. In the ToolBox select the Events tab a choose what you need for your Form1. For example, check Load and at the bottom left of the designer screen click Code. In the editor you should see something like this:

Code: [Select]
''
''  Remove the following Application.Run code if it used elsewhere in your application.
Application.Run(Form1) ' Comment this out and move it to your Untitled1.bas module.
''
''
Function Form1_Load( ByRef sender As wfxForm, ByRef e As EventArgs ) As LRESULT
    Function = 0
End Function

I saved my new Designer Form Untiled2 as Form1.bas
in Untitled1.bas

Code: [Select]
#Include Once Form1.bas
Application.Run(Form1)

Set Untitled1.bas as the "Main File".
The result on my machine is in the image attached.
I hope this is helpful.
Clive Richey
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place. Winston Churchill

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 10:01:11 PM »

1. Tool Bar - Project tab - New Project, and get popup window.
2. Asks for Project Path, so I browse to the path I want to be the home for my project.  Is there just wanting the path and or, should I also provide the path and project name?
You also need to specify the Project name. The project is saved with the extension .wfbe

3. I don't enter anything for either Other Options (23 or 64 bit) - leave blank.
Correct. These are optional.

4. Use checked box for "Create resource file and manifest".
Mostly only needed if you are creating a GUI project.

5. Check OK and I get what appears to be a new project under the "Explorer" sidebar, with an EMPTY "Untitled1" editor file to the right of the Explorer sidebar.
6. I'm not sure I did this correctly, AND, was expecting a standard console or GUI template, but that did not happen.
WinFBE does not create a default template when the project is created. It simply presents you with a blank untitled document file as a starting point. You can use that file or delete it from the project altogether. To add a template based file, click the down arrow next to the icon for the first Toolbar item (or press Ctrl+T) for a popup list of template files. These are templates that are based around Jose Roca's WinFBX library code. To create a new Form using WinFBE's built-in visual designer then you can use the instructions that Clive posted above.

Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Josť Roca

• Guru Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 08:12:42 AM »

Also be aware that templates are to code by hand, not to be used with the visual designer.