• Welcome to PlanetSquires Forums.

WinFBE - Manifest File

Started by SeaVipe, April 11, 2020, 05:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaVipe

Hi Paul, Yesterday a project started crashing somewhere during compile. I had added a button, checked the Click Event, Saved and started to add code to the Event.
In the click event function:

With frmMain
? "Click"
End With

Leaving the code unfinished like the above is not something I would normally do but I attempted a compile and that's when the crashing started. Ways to fix it came to me overnight (sigh), I  continued making Notes in the editor this morning. It turned out that by deleting the Manifest.xml file the project would compile. I Checked the Project Options, "Create Resource and Manifest" (which is always unchecked no matter how often I check it). A new compile created a Manifest file but not a resource file. The project is now compiling successfully without a resource file (the resource file in WinFBE_Suite notwithstanding). The Compile Log does show the TMP resource files.

Successful Compile (Errors 0 Warnings 0)
Primary Source: C:\SRC\DailyJournal\WinFBE_VD_MAIN.bas
Target Compilation: C:\SRC\DailyJournal\DailyJournal.exe (2,766 KB, 2831754 bytes)
Compile Time: 22.8 seconds (2020-04-11 07:52:48)
Command Line:
C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\fbc64.exe -m "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\WinFBE_VD_MAIN.bas" "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\TMPB648.rc" -v -g -exx -s console  -x "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\DailyJournal.exe"
FreeBASIC Compiler - Version 1.07.1 (2019-09-27), built for win64 (64bit)
Copyright (C) 2004-2019 The FreeBASIC development team.
standalone
target:       win64, x86-64, 64bit
compiling:    C:\SRC\DailyJournal\WinFBE_VD_MAIN.bas -o C:\SRC\DailyJournal\WinFBE_VD_MAIN.c (main module)
compiling C:  C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\bin\win64\gcc.exe -m64 -march=x86-64 -S -nostdlib -nostdinc -Wall -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unused-function -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-main -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O0 -fno-strict-aliasing -frounding-math -fno-math-errno -fwrapv -fno-exceptions -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -Wno-format -g -masm=intel "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\WinFBE_VD_MAIN.c" -o "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\WinFBE_VD_MAIN.asm"
assembling:   C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\bin\win64\as.exe --64 "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\WinFBE_VD_MAIN.asm" -o "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\WinFBE_VD_MAIN.o"
compiling rc:               C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\bin\win64\GoRC.exe /ni /nw /o /machine X64 /fo "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\TMPB648.obj" "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\TMPB648.rc"
linking:      C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\bin\win64\ld.exe -m i386pep -o "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\DailyJournal.exe" -subsystem console "C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\lib\win64\fbextra.x" --stack 1048576,1048576 -L "C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\lib\win64" -L "." "C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\lib\win64\crt2.o" "C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\lib\win64\crtbegin.o" "C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\lib\win64\fbrt0.o" "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\WinFBE_VD_MAIN.o" "C:\SRC\DailyJournal\TMPB648.obj" "-(" -lkernel32 -lgdi32 -lmsimg32 -luser32 -lversion -ladvapi32 -limm32 -lcomctl32 -luuid -lole32 -loleaut32 -luxtheme -lpsapi -lshell32 -lcomdlg32 -lshlwapi -lgdiplus -lddraw -ldxguid -lwinspool -lfbmt -lgcc -lmsvcrt -lmingw32 -lmingwex -lmoldname -lgcc_eh "-)" "C:\WinFBE_Suite\FreeBASIC-1.07.1-gcc-5.2\lib\win64\crtend.o"

Sidebar: The WinFBE Notes I made during debugging this issue were deleted during the first successful compile (or some how lost) so I can't adequately describe the other things I did...
:(
Clive Richey

Paul Squires

Thanks Clive - I will certainly have to study this post and see what weird and wonderful things are happening under the hood for this to occur. I'm not sure how the manifest file would play into this but it could be some combination of main resource file, temporary resource file, and manifest causing some type of problem between themselves.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Paul Squires

Hi Clive,

In your project, do you have a resource file showing under the "Resource" branch in your Explorer treeview?

Do these two files exist in your WinFBE Settings folder?

\Settings\WinFBE_manifest.xml
   \Settings\WinFBE_resource.rc
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

SeaVipe

Hi Paul,
There is no Resource.rc file in the Explorer treeview, nor is there a resource.rc in the project folder.
There is no manifest.xml file in the project folder.
Do these two files exist in your WinFBE Settings folder?
   \Settings\WinFBE_manifest.xml
   \Settings\WinFBE_resource.rc
No to both. Hmmm, didn't notice that until you asked!
Clive Richey

Paul Squires

That could be the problem. WinFBE uses those two files as templates for copying to your project folder when a new manifest and resource are needed. I will build a warning message into WinFBE to tell the user that the files are missing and program should be reinstalled.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software

SeaVipe

Hi Paul, I copy manifest and resource files from the WinFBE_Suite 2.0.9 folder to the WinFBE_Suite folder. Deleted WinFBE_VD_MAIN, projectname_db_data.ini is not getting generated, Checked Create Resource and Manifest files, but WinFBE still crashes. The Resource and Manifest files do get created in the project folder.
I'll look at it again in the morning.
Clive Richey