PlanetSquires Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question(s)? about MDI ....  (Read 211 times)

veltesian

• Little Newbie
question(s)? about MDI ....
« on: August 06, 2020, 04:51:02 AM »

hello everyone...

i'd like to know what/if any code is necessary to bridge 2 gui forms together, &
would basically be a parent/child window.

Paul Squires

• Administrator
  • Guru Member
  • Windows 10
    • PlanetSquires Software
Re: question(s)? about MDI ....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 03:37:32 PM »

WinFBE (WinFormsX) does not generate MDI if that's what you're looking for. Even Microsoft itself says that applications should not be created using MDI.

Now, if you're thinking of parent and owned windows... well, that's a different story. When you load your form you can specify if that form has a parent and if the form itself should be displayed as modal or modeless.
Paul Squires
PlanetSquires Software
WinFBE Editor and Visual Designer

Josť Roca

• Guru Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 05:56:02 PM »

The reason why Microsoft doesn't encourage the use of MDI is:

[Many new and intermediate users find it difficult to learn to use MDI applications. Therefore, you should consider other models for your user interface. However, you can use MDI for applications which do not easily fit into an existing model.]

MDI applications also require a very good knowledge of SDK programming, and Today programmers want to run before learning to walk.

veltesian

• Little Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:05:23 PM »

thanks to paul & jose for clearing that up for me. i guess i was not as understood about the
meaning of MDI. i meant to ask about if i could know about parent/child window type setup
but a short time later after that post was written i looked & saw in the properties area of
the control to edit/change setting of if the form is a child window/etc. sorry about that if
i got that whole meaning of MDI wrong.... i'm kinda embarrassed about it but thats ok.