Other Software and Code / Re: Paul Squires' Retirement
Last post by Joerg B. - April 27, 2024, 04:14:12 AM
Hello Johan

That was a great idea! ;D
Thanks for your work and the link!
Other Software and Code / Re: Paul Squires' Retirement
Last post by Johan Klassen - April 25, 2024, 12:22:05 PM
hello John Montenigro  :)
I made a 4-level copy of this forum, so the attachments are included, you can get it here https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZpGbb0ZiLWtnAElIr7JwoJ1CHoXJHV1j7Vy
Other Software and Code / Paul Squires' Retirement
Last post by John Montenigro - April 24, 2024, 05:25:18 PM
Paul,

All the best to you in your retirement! 

Because I still use FF and PB, I'll try to download info before the May 24 deadline, but I'm not sure how to capture what I might need next year! I should probably have learned how to program a downloader, lol.

I just wanted to express my appreciation for all you've done that has been a help to me and so many others over the years. You've left an indelible mark in many lives, and on many projects. It's a legacy to be proud of.

Thanks again for everything, and let me know if you're near Beaufort, SC. Lunch is on me!

Best regards,

-John
WinFBE - Code Editor and Visual Designer / Re: Settings File
Last post by Petrus Vorster - April 18, 2024, 05:02:19 AM
Works like a charm.
Exactly what I needed, and very simple to use.

Thank you!

-Peter
Last post by Petrus Vorster - April 18, 2024, 03:00:34 AM
Hi All

Thanks for the help!
I think that's just about what I need.

Much appreciated.

-Peter
Last post by philbar - April 17, 2024, 12:32:47 PM
Simplest answer: Use José's CIniFile class, which reads and writes to standard INI files. You'll find the instructions in the Help/WinFBX section under File Management.

Here's his example of open an INI file, save a value to a category in it, read it back, print the result:
#include once "Afx/CInifile.inc"
USING Afx

DIM cIni AS CInifile = "Test.ini"
cIni.WriteValue("Test", "Name", "Joe Doe")
DIM wszName AS WSTRING * 260
wszName = cIni.GetString("Test", "Name")
print wszName

PRINT "Press any key..."
SLEEP

Afterwards, take a look at TEST.INI with any text editor that can read wide strings (like WinFBE).

Phil

Last post by Wilko Verweij - April 17, 2024, 08:28:37 AM
Dear Petrus,
Have you considered using functions like GetPrivateProfileString and WritePrivateProfileString? Were used in the past for storing settings in .ini-files, but they can be used for your purpose, I guess.
Wilko
WinFBE - Code Editor and Visual Designer / Settings File
Last post by Petrus Vorster - April 17, 2024, 06:35:27 AM
Hi All

I need to make a settings file with quite a lot of entries.
I was hoping to include some sort of Text Tag in the file so I can follow which setting goes with what without them necessarily being saved in the exact same order.

E.G.
[Default_Printer]
Ricoh MP75
[Label_Printer]
Datamax e-class
[Receipt_printer]
Epson TM2001
[AUTOPRINT]
YES
[AUTO_SMS]
YES

and so forth.
In other words, I need to save with those tags and when reading, need to look for the tags and then the information that follows after that.

I have to use the CWSTR of José.
In Powerbasic i had markers like <> and used a UDT to save the info, but that does not seem to be the best way of saving info.

Can someone show me ho to parse a file like that with those "tags"?

Regards,

Peter
General Board / Re: Thank you for the years.
Last post by Ian Vincent - April 16, 2024, 09:35:38 AM
Paul, best wishes for your retirement.
Over the years, you have provided far more than most, and with a level of patience that I can only admire.
I hope you can find a way to keep in touch with both the FB and PB community, even it is infrequent.

Best of luck.

General Board / Re: Thank you for the years.
Last post by Joerg B. - April 15, 2024, 02:57:05 PM
Hello Paul

Everything has its time.

This is "bad" news for me/us and very unfortunate, but I can also understand it.
Even if programming is a hobby or passion of yours or ours, no one wants to do it until life is over.

If you want to keep the program up to date for now, that's also good news in a way.

I wish you all the best in your new phase of life and lots of time for yourself, family, grandchildren or whatever.

You and José have spent a lot of time creating programming environments or libraries that make life easier for me/us as "hobby programmers" without us having to acquire in-depth knowledge of APIs etc. In the end, we were the beneficiaries. In the end, we were the beneficiaries. In the end, we were the beneficiaries.

In the end, we were the beneficiaries of your passion.

Your name and José's name are firmly associated with WinFBE.